New Orleans Train Accident Lawyers
Louisiana in past years has had the unfortunate distinction of being ranked among the top states in the country for train crashes and collisions. In 2010, for example, the state was in the top ten states for rail crossing fatalities, with 15 fatalities at railroad crossings (Illinois, the top state that year, had only ten more). In 2014, Louisiana ranked fourth in the country for train accidents involving cars.
Types of Railway Accidents
There are a few different types of railway accidents common in Louisiana and other parts of the country:
- Commuter train accidents. This can involve injuries sustained on board a train or injuries suffered when passengers are anywhere on the train platform or property.
- Derailments. When trains leave the tracks and flip on their sides, they can cause devastating damage.
- Crashes. When trains collide with obstructions on the tracks, pedestrians on the tracks or with other train cars, the injuries are often severe or fatal.
- Railway/Car accidents. These accidents often occur at railway crossings and involve cars driving across a train track. Since trains are so much larger, the smaller passenger vehicle — along with everyone in it — may be crushed.
Why Do Railway Accidents Occur?
A NOLA train wreck can happen for many reasons, including:
- Obstruction on the tracks
- Operator error
- Distracted, fatigued or inebriated operators
- Signal errors
- Drivers crossing railroad crossings without looking for a train
- Children playing on railroad tracks
- Poor maintenance of railroad tracks
- Inadequate signs at railroad crossings
- Mechanical failures
Although train accidents are not as common as car accidents, they can be devastating. Because of the large size and high speed involved with trains, when a train derails or crashes, fatalities and serious injuries are likely to result. In fact, because of the force involved, it is not uncommon for bystanders to also be seriously injured or even killed.
In some cases, train derailment and accidents can cause devastating chemical spills or toxic spills affecting an entire community. Freight trains may carry dangerous material or flammable materials. On impact, this material can spill and even ignite, sometimes with disastrous consequences.
Why You Should Contact a Louisiana Railway Accident Lawyer
If you have been injured in a train accident, such as a commuter train accident, or if you live in an area where a train accident has caused a chemical spill causing injuries or damages, contact a train accident lawyer in New Orleans.
Unfortunately, after a railroad accident in New Orleans, train companies and their representatives will usually move fast to mitigate the PR damage and to reduce liability for the company. You need to work with an attorney to fight for your fair compensation.
If you have been injured while embarking or disembarking a commuter train or if you have been injured in another way due to a train accident, contact the Irpino, Avin & Hawkins Law Firm for a consultation. Our independent law firm focuses entirely on clients and personal injury cases. By narrowing our focus, we work to provide the highest caliber of legal advice and support that we can. Contact us if you have questions about your injury and your rights.