Written by Guest Blogger on May 24, 201625.3% of Americans volunteered, contributing about 7.9 billion hours and a value of close to $184 billion to the economy. In Louisiana alone, there were 647,370 volunteers contributing 58.7... Read more
Written by Irpino, Avin & Hawkins Law Firm on May 18, 2016Semi-truck accidents and car accidents are similar in many ways. Both can lead to devastating injuries, including head trauma, fractures, fatalities, spinal cord trauma and other serious injuries. However, if you make a claim resulting from a semi-truck accident, the compensation you are eligible for may be significantly different than if you sustained the same injuries in a typical car accident. The Differences Between Commercial Truck Crashes and Car Accidents Semi-trucks, tractor-trailers and other large trucks are typically commercial vehicles. Because they're much larger... Read more
Written by Irpino, Avin & Hawkins Law Firm on May 4, 2016Many types of injuries can occur due to toxic chemicals and exposure to these toxins. For example:
- Contamination of soil and groundwater due to chemicals and wastes can lead to cancers, birth defects and other serious illnesses. Contamination of water can also lead to outbreaks of E. coli and other illnesses.
- Exposure to black mold and other types of mold can lead to respiratory problems, migraines, allergic reactions and irritation.
- Asbestos exposure can lead to the development of a cancer known as mesothelioma. Mesothelioma usually occurs decades after exposure happens, attacking the li... Read more
Written by Irpino, Avin & Hawkins Law Firm on April 20, 2016If you've gone to the doctor or to a hospital to get medical treatment and ended up injured or suffering even more because of a medical error or misdiagnosis, you may assume you have a medical malpractice claim. This is not always the case. Medical malpractice claims are a type of personal injury claim stemming from negligent or wrongful action on behalf of any health practitioner. However, in order to have a medical malpractice claim, you must be able to prove:
- A doctor or healthcare professional was negligent or reckless when treating you, acting in a way that is not standard or... Read more
Written by Irpino, Avin & Hawkins Law Firm on April 6, 2016April is distracted driving awareness month, so it’s a good time to review driving safety. Many people think distracted driving is simply using a mobile device or texting while driving. In reality, experts define distracted driving as anything that:
- Takes your eyes off the road
- Keeps your hands off the wheel
- Distracts your mind from the task of driving
- Eating and drinking
- Setting your dashboard controls or changing the music